Creating Local Opportunities
The participation of a Mozambican workforce, procurement of local goods and services, technology, capital and research capability is integral to the successful development and operation of Mozambique LNG. Moreover, the development of Mozambique LNG offers a catalyst opportunity for national content development.
The project’s National Content Strategy is consistent with the national petroleum sector's established regulatory framework for national content. The ethos of the National Content Strategy finds expression in three commitments:
- Employment of Mozambican citizens with appropriate qualifications at all levels of its organization or as sub-contractors;
- Development and implementation of effective training programs for Mozambican employees in each phase and level of operations in Mozambique or overseas;
- Preferential purchasing of local goods and services when internationally comparable in terms of quality, availability, quantity and price.
The strategy defines the overarching terms whereby the project will contribute to the development and attainment of a sustainable industrial database in each of the different phases of the project, with a strong emphasis on training and capacity development through small-and medium-enterprise (SME) development.
Anadarko and the participants of Area 1 are committeed maximizing national content throughout the project's lifecycle.
Role During Contract Award
National content has played a critical role in the selection of the LNG engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract. As part of the competitive bid for the EPC award, bidding contractors were required to provide a forecast of national content levels , as well as a comprehensive National Content Plan.
The EPC National Content Plan provides details of the engineering, procurement and construction strategies, local skills and vendor development programs, and the investments in capital assets to enable the national content forecast levels to be achieved.
The plan includes detailed information on:
- Investments in fixed assets in Mozambique
- Nationals in the workforce
- A national recruitment and training program
- Procurement of goods and services from third-party local suppliers
- Development of Mozambican-owned partners and suppliers
- National training, education and research
- Actual value contributed to the national economy
Loading photo gallery...