Stakeholder engagement is a dynamic activity central to effectively managing and communicating about the Mozambique LNG's project plans, progress, activities, impacts and performance.
For Mozambique LNG, it is a business priority to establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with those with an interest in and those who are affected by our activities and operations. Listening and engaging in dialogue, discussion and consultation about all aspects of the project have resulted in constructive relationships being established with a range of diverse stakeholder groups including national, provincial and district government, directly and indirectly affected communities, NGOs and civil society, the private sector, business community, interested parties and media organizations.
Establishing relationships with those affected by our activities in the wider area of our influence was vital to enable a social license to operate early on in the project life and remains a key activity to ensuring a stable project operating environment in future.
Meaningful engagement is only possible if there is reciprocal understanding between the project and our stakeholders. We make time to learn about our stakeholders’ interests, needs, priorities and concerns, and we believe our stakeholders learn about us through our open, transparent and responsive engagement about the project, its activities, impacts and opportunities.
Project engagement activities are led by the project's Stakeholder Engagement team. The Community Relations team is at the centre of the Stakeholder Engagement team. The team is comprised of Mozambican Community Liaison Officers whose continuous presence in Palma and the Afungi peninsula is central to maintaining positive relationships with communities and the District Government. Continuous liaison with the Government of Mozambique at national and provincial level is undertaken by the Government Affairs team in Maputo and Pemba.
Our approach to stakeholder engagement is based on respect for and appreciation of diverse people, views, cultural identities, language preferences, as well as gender-sensitive and literacy considerations. The following principles have been developed to govern our stakeholder engagement activities:
- Inclusivity – We proactively identify, analyze and include all relevant stakeholders in engagement processes.
- Sustainable relationships – We create and maintain relationships with stakeholders that allow for mutual benefit. We aim to build and maintain stakeholder trust in the project and associated activities, seek to be welcomed and respected by relevant stakeholders, facilitate open dialogue, and manage differences of opinion.
- Stakeholder issues and grievances – We respond to stakeholder issues and grievances with a view to seeking resolution in a timely manner.
- Enable participation – We facilitate willing and free stakeholder engagement, build the capacity of stakeholders to actively participate in engagement processes, and engage in socially and culturally appropriate ways.
- Communication – We communicate and foster informed engagement, listen and commit to be proactive in our communication, inform stakeholders through ongoing, meaningful and targeted communication, develop and utilize appropriate communication materials, and create well-defined and open channels for two-way communication and information sharing.
- Create internal capacity – We create the required capacity to effectively engage with stakeholders, including the necessary internal arrangements, responsibilities, coordination mechanisms, staffing, systems and skills.
Examples of Engagement Activities
- Undertaking community mapping as part of the community resettlement consultation process
- Inviting stakeholders to participate in project meetings
- Hosting open houses to share information about the project and construction timeline
- Partnering with reputable local NGOs to deliver community investment programs
- Presenting a drama to communities to create awareness of the Health Impact Assessment
- Engaging in a news conference
- Working closely with a community member to resolve a complaint
Loading photo gallery...